Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Character Diary

Choose a character from the Epic of Beowulf and write a diary entry from that character's perspective. You may choose any character from the text, even the smaller characters or monsters! Write your entry as if you were that character reflecting on the events of his or her day. You can write about an event from the text or make up an event that you think this character would be likely to experience. Your entry should be at least 15 sentences long and should reflect your understanding of the text, plot and the characters. Be sure to sign your post so we can tell which character you are writing as. See the sample below...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Diary,

    Today a scop came to my kinsmen, Hygelac's, palace. He sung the tale of a Danish king named Hrothgar who is being plagued by a monster. The scop told about a great mead hall named Heorot that has been abandoned because of this monster's violent actions. As I sat there enjoying my food and drink in my great ring-giver Hygelac's own mead hall, I felt very sorry for the Danish men who cannot enjoy their own mead hall. Imagine being afraid to stay in your own mead hall!

    The monster, the scop said, was terrorizing the men. Every night the men fear to stay in the hall because the monster tears apart and eats all who stay. The scop sung that this beast was more powerful than any of Hrothgar's warriors. Everyone who has gone up against this evil beast has been destroyed. This is truly an awesome monster!!

    I believe something must be done about this monster! How could a man sit by and let noble warriors be destroyed by such an evil beast? I cannot!! I think tomorrow I will go to Hygelac and ask to go to this King Hrothgar and try my might against the monster. To destroy this monster would bring great glory and honor to my name. The scop would then sing my name -- to think, I would be known through the world...

    ReplyDelete